Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Road Trip

Last Tuesday was an exhausting day. We took a bit of a road trip along the path of the ancient Via Appia—a major road that connected several important places in Italy.

Our first stop was the Baths of Caracalla. I've been in several Roman bath houses at this point, but the baths of Caracalla are huge. The baths are often used for modern musical performances, including operas. But given how hot it was, I wished that the natatio, or swimming pool, was still in use. It was clearly enormous, and at one spot along the side, someone etched in a game board so that people could relax in the water and play poolside.


We also saw the remaining part of the Aurelianic Wall, built by Emperor Aurelian, as well as the tomb of Caecilia Metella and the Villa and Stadium of Maxentius. Two of the other sites we saw, however, really took the cake.

As part of our road trip, I got to take my first trip down into Roman catacombs, which was fascinating (if somewhat claustrophobic). There aren't any bones remaining there, though. Human remains had to be removed after tourists started to take little pieces as souvenirs. Gross. Unfortunately, we were not permitted to take photographs inside of the catacombs, which was extremely disappointing for me. There were some very interesting inscriptions and paintings that I would have liked a record of for later. I guess that's what libraries are for. I did sneak in one picture before I was scolded for breaking the rules (I swear I didn't know!).

I am a criminal. 
The other big showstopper was the Villa dei Quintili. In its heyday, this villa was a personal paradise with its own bathhouse, fancy sculptures, and gorgeous marble floors. In fact, it was so desirable that Emperor Commodus had its owners put to death and took the villa for himself. I'm sensing a new series on HGTV—House Hunters: Imperial Edition.


Because the Via Appia was such a major thoroughfare, it was a great place to build if you wanted people to notice how awesome you were. Want to be remembered after your death? Build a mausoleum along the Via Appia. Want people to notice and enjoy your monumental bathhouse? Via Appia. Want to have a nice home away from the city, but still be able to go into town without too much trouble? Via Appia. Just make sure you don't attract too much attention... unless you're the Emperor.

2 comments:

B.D. said...

Thanks for breaking the rules on our behalf.

Unknown said...

I'd watch that new House Hunters series. -Mom